Serving clients in all legal jurisdictions throughout Alabama, Georgia, and, via affiliations, on a national scale. Our experienced Birmingham business law attorneys offer skillful representation in a variety of practice areas. We have extensive knowledge of the federal and state laws that apply to each client we take. Our job is to inform you, advise you, advocate for you, and prepare the legal documents that will protect you and your assets.
However, there are six important exceptions to this general rule. A non-compete agreement can be valid in Alabama if the agreement is in writing, is signed by both parties, is supported by adequate consideration, and the agreed-upon restraint involves one of the following types of permissible restrictive covenants:
- If the employee’s position is uniquely essential to the management or organization of the business,
- If the agreement is to limit certain commercial dealings to deals between the contracting parties,
- If the non-compete agreement is associated with the sale of a business,
- If the agreement not to compete is limited to a specific geographic area and the restraint lasts for no more than two years,
- If the agreement is to not solicit the business’ current customers and the restraint lasts for no more than 18 months, or
- If the agreement is made between business partners in anticipation of the dissolution of their business and the restraint prohibits them from conducting a similar business within a specified geographic area.
If your business is located in Alabama and you are interested in drafting enforceable non-compete or non-solicitation agreements contact the experienced Birmingham business attorneys at Cloud Willis & Ellis, LLC today. Our experienced corporate law lawyers would be happy to sit down with you and discuss your legal options.
Cloud Willis & Ellis, LLC
3928 Montclair Road
Birmingham, Alabama 35213
Simply put, we know Florida non-compete law backwards and forwards. If you are considering a non-compete attorney, please give us a call at (800) 698-6650.